Sunday, August 21, 2011

Meet the Teacher Monday

I'm joining in all the fun for Teacher Week 2011. I'm new to the blogging world so this will be fun. If you want to join in jump to: Blog Hoppin' and check it out.






Tell us a little something about you...

I'm Laura and I'm a new mommy. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest and live just south of Portland, OR. I have a baby boy  who has swept me off my feet and a husband who I couldn't live without. My sister is my best friend and she's also a teacher. We spend hours talking shop and comparing the way things go down at our neighboring schools that are in the same school district. It's funny how we can bring such insight to one another. I am extremely close to my mom and we talk at least once or twice a day. My family is awesome and loving. I have the best little brother ever who has a heart of gold. He'll deliver a load of bark dust, let me grow veggies in his huge garden, and so much more. I have definitely been blessed in my life.


How long have you been teaching?

This is my 10th year teaching.  I started out in rural Nevada, in a town called Yerington. I applied at the Portland job fair and was hired over the phone. I dropped everything in Portland, the town I called home and moved there for a teaching job. It was the best experience I could get. The town had a population of 3,500 and it was a slow-paced life - the perfect place for me to get some roots. I taught there for 2 years, then got engaged and moved back to Portland where I've been teaching at a high poverty, high ESL school for the past 7 going on 8 years. I love  the challenges that I have and embrace them with open arms. Not a lot of teachers can have over 8 or 9 languages represented in one class. My kids keep me on my toes.

You might not know...

Hmm... I was inspired to teach by the awesome teachers in and around my life. I moved in next door to my third grade teacher the year I moved to a new school. My teacher Mrs. Loos was so kind and beautiful and I felt so lucky to live right next door to her. It's pretty neat to have such neat memories of my teachers. Now I'm lucky to be doing the job of my dreams and perhaps I can inspire some students to go to college and get a career too.

What are you looking most forward to this school year?

I'm looking forward to focusing my teaching to align with the national common core standards. I don't find it daunting, but rather encouraging. I'm excited to once again teach Kindergarten (I've been teaching 1st the past 4 years). I am excited to meet my students and deepen the relationships I have with some parents of siblings.  

What do you need to improve?

I would like to become more efficient in the time-management category. Last year when I returned to work from my maternity leave I was pumping 4 times a day to keep up with my son's demands and I barely had time to catch my breath between preps. I felt like I was drowning in my data/planning, etc. This year  I hope to use my time wisely so I can get ahead and still be out of the door when teacher-time ends so I can have my sacred family time.

What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?

My biggest love is my Elmo Projector /document camera. It's great for all of our group work, interactive games, and stuff.


My next love has go to be my giant roll of packing tape. I use it for everything in my room - attaching name tags, hanging posters, fixing torn books. I use it daily.


Lastly, I love my mini-fridge - it's there when I need a snack, it holds my water bottles and keeps them nice and fresh so I stay hydrated. I also have coffee creamer in there so I don't break the bank going to Starbucks too much. And I get to visit with my co-workers when they want to put something in there.

* * * * *







3 comments:

  1. Have a great year Laura!

    Theresa
    candydishtreats.blogspot.com
    Primaryprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I miss my mini-fridge! Mine broke last year, so I have to put my stuff in my neighbor's room. Not as good as having your own! Hope you have a great year!

    Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love that min-fridge! I'm so sad I won't be across the hall anymore!!! :(

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here