Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oh my freaking word!

Today was a challenge from you know where. Eek...I'm seriously wishing it was Friday at 3;30 right about now. My first 2 days were awesome. I have some of the cutest and smartest kids ever. But today was a challenge. At my school we do gradual entry so for 4 days 1/4 of the class comes - 1/4 each of the 4 days. We do this so I can do letter ID testing, counting, and sounds, and shape recognition. It's really nice to meet my students in a small group before I'm ambushed by 30 students. Oh Monday, how I'm scared of thee...

I met a new kindergarten friend who wore me out. Needless to say, I'm exhausted from monitoring and adjusting trying to make today run as smooth as possible. My mental-mantra was "monitor and adjust." Today I'm glad I could reflect in peace that even though I was TOTALLY not following my lesson plans, I did get the students to complete some activities that were planned without throwing the room into total chaos. Hooray for me.

I think the biggest hits of the day have been doing dance/movement time with the kiddos...the song Bop Til You Drop was a major blast. The other great part of our day was when I passed out the baggies of cereal at the end of the day. The students loved this extra special snack. Plus it was something I could use as an incentive for them to earn a special surprise at the end of the day.

I'm praying that the last 1/4 of my class is as good as the other 3/4...here's hoping.

What do all of you bloggers do to document behavior of students who have major issues that affect the learning of others? I'd like to hear your tips on this topic.

Thanks, Laura

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry today was hard. You need that sign that says "Keep Calm and Pretend This is on the Lesson Plan"! For management, I use a magnet system from the book Everything You Need to Know to Teach First Grade. You make a stop light and the students move their magnet from green, to yellow, to red with each warning. If they reach red, they get a time out and a zinger (carbon-copy note home). I keep track with colored markers what color each child ends on. If there are common offenders, then I know how often they are getting in trouble. This information has been helpful when talking to the counselor and also with parents. You could also add what happened when they moved their magnet to the recording sheet, but I usually forget, so I try to keep it as easy as possible. Good luck! I'd love to hear how you decide to move forward with your "special friend"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the idea of gradual entry....especially with all the testing we are expected to do!!

    Quench Your First

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here