Monday, April 23, 2012

Making Ice Cream

Ok, you know the song...
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM! Well, I did exactly that - I screamed with giddy joy when I made my first batch of ice cream. How did I do it you might ask - well it was super easy. I followed directions from Disney's Family Fun website.

First, I gathered my materials. A half gallon of half & half ($2.50), a box of Morton Ice Cream Salt (rock salt) ($1.50), sugar, vanilla, and freezer bags (1 quart and 1 gallon).


Next, I filled the small baggie with:
1 Cup of half and half
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

Squeeze out air, and seal tight.

In the gallon bag, fill it 1/2 full of ice and about a 1/2 cup of salt. Put the sealed milk-bag inside with the ice/salt mixture and seal the gallon bag. Shake 5 minutes, rinse bag of ice-cream under cold water to remove salt, eat and enjoy!

My teacher's aid and I made several of these baggies for my 32 kindergartners. My class sat in a big circle and we took turns shaking and passing the bags around for 5-8 minutes ... I wasn't counting.  Then I rinsed the bags off under cool water, and cut a corner from the baggie and squeezed out ice cream into little paper portion cups. There was plenty to go around. Kids oohed and ahhed at how yummy it was. It was super fun. We enjoyed this activity as an end to our farm unit in which we learned about how cows provide many things for people (one of which is ICE CREAM). I love being able to do things with the kids that hopefully they'll remember for a long time!

4 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm glad it went well for you. We did it outside on the playground once and the kids were trying to open the bags and drink it before it was ready (I guess maybe they had a craving for a milkshake). We were so afraid some of them were going to drink the salt water part-yuck! Thanks for sharing!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...kids are so funny! That would be so sick if they actually drank the salt water haha. I think I got a little hint of the salt taste in a sample of ice cream that I had - oops. I wish my class wasn't so huge so I could let each child make their own. Next time I make it I think I'll try adding chocolate syrup. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though Nate missed making ice cream, we went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory this weekend and he told me that you taught him all about cows, ice cream, cheese, and butter! He's a pro now thanks to you! ;)
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sad he missed it, but I bet he was so excited to go to the factory! haha! He's such a little sponge!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here