Friday, June 22, 2012

Eric Carle Author Study - Book Review



One of my favorite authors and illustrators of all time has to be Eric Carle. What I didn't ever know until recently was his inspiration for painting in all sorts of fantastical colors. I was gifted this book from one of my blog-buddies who had a child in my class. We read and learned about what inspired Eric Carle. The students and I were fascinated! If you've never read it, check it out. Carle tells the story of him being a young artist in WWII and he took a liking to Expressionists like Matisse, Marc and Picasso. Abstract art back then was forbidden and "degenerate art." But, Carle was passionate about doing art in the way that inspired him, and thus his love of abstract art was born.

I love teaching my Kindergarteners about Eric Carle because he is an inspiration for coloring a horse of another color - literally. When we read his stories we look and marvel at the art, and discuss if the story is fiction or non-fiction. We also look for growing patterns in his stories. There are so many fun ideas in his books to inspire art. 

Things to try:
Read: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, then...
Art: Paint paper plates green (staple them together for a long body) and paint one plate red for the head - add eyes, mouth, and antenna

Read: A House for Hermit Crab, then...
Art: On a blackline drawing of a hermit crab add sparkles, glitter, and stuff to make a pretty shell

Read: Papa, Please get the Moon for me, then...
Art: paint a night scene with stickers or glitter stars, and add a popsicle stick ladder to reach the moon.

Read: The Very Grouchy Ladybug, then...
Art: make a construction paper ladybug with movable wings (use a brad) and wax paper for the inside wings

Check out his blog here









1 comment:

  1. I love Eric Carle..His illustrations are fantastic! Plus the kiddos enjoy his reads. Thanks for his blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here