Friday, August 24, 2012

Class Tour Part 1: New and Improved Word Wall

Join in the word wall linky party by going to The Teacher's Cauldron. Then read on to see how I've set up my word wall for my Kindergarten class. 

First, I revamped my word wall. I used painters tape to divide up my white board (in the front of my class) and I labeled it with letters. I bought a poster at the teacher store that had abc pictures (that I cut up) and I posted them up with sticky putty. I tried to do all of this as linear as possible. I was disappointed when I opened my package of punch out letters to find that they were only uppercase. My bad! I guess I didn't read the package closely enough.  Doh! If I were to do it again I'd really like upper and lowercase in the big blue letters. 

Here is a close-up view of part of the board. When school starts I'm going to try to add kid's names and pictures under the board according to their first letter. Also, in our school we teach 22 high frequency words (from our Houghton Mifflin curriculum). I add some other commonly misspelled words to the board too. Each word that I post goes on a different color of background paper. For example, when I post the words TO and THE, I would make TO go on red paper, and THE go on yellow paper. This helps kids distinguish between the words. This year I'm also planning on cutting around the words so that students can see the letter height (tall, small, or fall).




Here are the sight word cards I'll be using - they align with Houghton Mifflin Kindergarten Sight Words. 













4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out Caitlin!

      Delete
  2. Question...I tried using painter's tape this summer when I was getting my word wall ready and it kept falling down! I had the grid complete on my unused dry erase board but when I walked in the next day it was all down!! So frustrating...I considered using colored duck tape but I don't want to ruin my board. What's your secret?

    I found you on the Kinderland facebook page and I'm your newest follower!

    Thanks,
    Nicole Lanier
    Lanier's Kindergarten Lions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole,
      I have no secret except that that picture was freshly taken and I haven't been back into school to see if it's still up. Ahh...great...I hope it doesn't fall down. I think the fact that we have no A/C in our school helps melt the tape to the board. :-) I guess I'll see on Monday if it is still there. I thought about using colored masking tape, but it's too expensive for me. I used 2" tape so it's a little thicker than the kind I normally buy. I'm glad you're a new follower! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Leave Your Thoughts Here