Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Kindergarten Systems and Routines for ELLs


Click HERE to download for your personal use.

This summer I spent a lot of time developing my "thesis" or masters seminar project. I decided to focus it on Kindergarten Systems and Routines for English Language Learners. I work with a very high ELL population (last year I had 88% ELL). I have developed a lot of routines and systems to help my students know what to do in the classroom and be successful. If you teach upper grades and have ELL students, this is for you too! I have cited resources at the back and do not claim to be the originator of all of the ideas, rather it is a compilation of what I have found to work in my practice. I do have 10 years of teaching experience and have been using many of these systems for a long time.

My strategies are based on giving students visual and audio cues to understand the content of their day. There are a lot of ideas that I have gathered over the years including:
*attention signal
*daily schedule
*preparing name tags
*check in procedures
*morning work
*choice time routines
... and much more

There was so much more that I wanted to write, but I had to keep my focus narrowed for this report. If you would like to download it for your personal use you have my permission. I would appreciate it if you link back to my blog if you pin or post. If you find that your original idea has been included in this piece, please let me know and I would love to give you credit.

2 comments:

  1. If you want to set-up routines using repeatable checklists, you can use this application:

    http://www.Gtdagenda.com

    You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, and a calendar.
    Syncs with Evernote and Google Calendar, and also comes with mobile version, and Android and iPhone apps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I was unable to download the link. Would you kindly repost? I work with Kindergarten ELs and would love to access this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here