Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Alphafriend Sound Practice


As reading groups are getting underway - I'm starting to meet with kids to work on letter recognition and sound practice. I noticed some wandering eyes during group when I was just using the set of flashcards that come with my kit. I use Houghton Mifflin for Kindergarten and decided to make these "ABC" books so everyone in my small group can practice the letters and sounds with them in their own hands. I stapled the pages as 8 1/2 x 11 sized books and am using it is a choral reading warm-up/chant during guided groups. 

I have them read the "a a a" or "b b b" as the sound. For the alpfafriend I say it's object (apple/bear/cat) rather than the full name. 

Example: 
A is for apple,  /a/a/a/
B is for bear,  /b/b/b/

This is pretty specific to using the HM program, but in case you can use it - CLICK HERE for the freebie on google docs.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Alphafriends book. We use Journeys with the Alphafriends too. My kids love the YouTube song. We do it on the projector everyday!
    Lisa Bohaty
    www.mrsbohatyskindergartenkingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here