Sunday, March 9, 2014

Reading and Rhyming

Here is a little peek at my week.
This week we focused on Rhyming. During read aloud time I read many Dr. Seuss books including lots of favorites: Green Eggs and Ham, Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, Wacky Wednesday, and There's a Wocket in my Pocket. 

We used the sentence frame ____ rhymes with ____ during ELD (English Language Development) time. I was excited to break out my Lakeshore rhyming tubs. I got these tubs donated from a Donors Choose grant that was fulfilled by Chevron. My kids sat in groups of 3 and took turns using the sentence frame to talk about rhymes. They had so much fun using the real objects and it was a great vocabulary building experience. For example if they said Bone rhymes with Stone...I knew they "got it." If they said Bone rhymes with Rock - I could quickly assess that they didn't have mastery of the concept. I listened in to their speaking and was able to formatively assess who was mastering the concept of rhyming.
Picture from Lakeshore

I printed about 15 of these Rhyming Word mats and the matching cards (there are 6 different sets). They are an awesome free resource from Sparklebox. Each card comes with 6 rhyming pictures that you cut out and lay on top of the gameboard. I had students partner up and practice matching the rhyming pairs at tables. I set 3 gameboards on each table. They matched pictures for about 3 minutes, then I hit my chime. When I did that, they rotated and moved around the table to the next gameboard. We did this for about 10 minutes. This takes modeling and practice - so be very explicit about leaving the game board in one place and having the students rotate.
Picture from Sparklebox
Last, to celebrate the love of reading we made a craft of some favorite characters. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for all your good ideas and the freebie!! Super appreciated!! Amy :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here